ASIA-PACIFIC BSPTS region
Dr. Rigo's Interview in Chinese. What is BSPTS-Concept by Rigo?(By Chin-Yen Tseng and Yumin Ding)
The Asia-pacific region has 4 passionate BSPTS-Concept by Rigo Teachers who run BSPTS courses locally and internationally. Collectively we are a team sharing >30 years of scoliosis knowledge between us. We love educating our fellow practitioners about all things scoliosis so please don’t hesitate in asking us to present a course in your country.
Barcelona Scoliosis Physical Therapy School (BSPTS)
BSPTS is a schoolcreated to offer education to Physiotherapists in treating patients with scoliosis and other spinal disorders, according to the general principles of the so called Physiotherapy Scoliosis Specific Exercises–PSSE (SOSORT Guidelines).
The Barcelona School was founded by Elena Salvá, a Catalan Physiotherapist, who introduced the German ‘Schroth Method’ in Barcelona during the 60’s.
Thus, BSPTS, was initially inspired and based on the original physiotherapy method created by Katharina Schroth in 1921.
The Schroth method became popular in Germany through K. Schroth’s daughter, Christa Lehnert-Schroth. Elena Salvá learned from both women before bringing the method to Barcelona.
At the late 80’s, Dr. Manuel Rigo and his wife, Dr. Gloria Quera Salvá, Elena’s daughter, started educating Spanish Physiotherapists in accordance with Lehnert-Schroth and Dr. H.R. Weiss methodology, Christa’s son. BSPTS was certifying physiotherapists, National and International, under the name of Schroth until the end of 2008.
Since then, three different branches emerged, the ISST from A.M. Hennes; Best Practice, From Dr. H-R- Weiss; and the BSPTS-Concept by Rigo. These three branches are based, on some way, in the original Schroth method, but nowadays, they can be considered relevantly different, conceptually as well as technically.
BSPTS has evolved paying attention to three spheres of knowledge:
- Specific knowledge on Scoliosis and other spinal disorders
- The BSPTS-Concept by Rigo. Based on four general principles: Three-dimensional stable postural correction; Expansion Technique; Muscle activation and Integration.
- The BSPTS-Technique. Based on different touching formats (feeling format, passive-active format, inducing format, dissociating format, activation format, integration format)
BSPTS’s proposal is about helping the physiotherapist to find a balance between these three spheres of knowledge.
To be physiotherapist specialized in scoliosis and other spinal disorders
General Objectives of the BSPTS-Concept by Rigo certification course:
- Give the physiotherapist specific information and knowledge about scoliosis (assessment, natural history, prognosis and treatment) to become a qualified member of a multidisciplinary team according to SOSORT Guidelines.
- Encourage thinking and critical/constructive reasoning when facing the different theories on the causes and development of scoliosis, the assessment systems and the treatment strategies, mainly non-surgical (Rehabilitation and Bracing).
Basic knowledge on scoliosis and other alterations of the spine
Addressed to all health professionals interested in acquiring specific basic knowledge on scoliosis and other spinal disorders.
FACE TO FACE COURSE
Three days course, 24 hours, combining lecture on theoretical and practical knowledge
BSPTS Course Level 1
General Principles of the BSPTS-Concept by Rigo; Specific principles of Correction; Pre-defined Strategies of Correction according to Rigo Classification and Basic Unloading Starting Positions and Integration in Loading Positions.
BSPTS Course level 2
Date: coming soon in 2020
BSPTS Course level 3
Date: coming soon in 2020