Message to BSPTS Teachers. 8th March 2020. Dr. Rigo
Dear friends and colleagues,
It is a big pleasure for me to write some words to express my gratitude to all of you for your indefatigable support, collaboration and patience.
At this moment I can be reasonable satisfied about the new way, taken in order to convert the BSPTS in something easier to standardize and something long-lasting and controllable (in a positive meaning). Obviously, there are things to improve, but this present message is not about discussing or bringing up problems or criticism, neither to express self-indulgence, but just to keep you informed about my thoughts.
After expressing my gratitude to all of you, I would like also recognize the good job made by our General Manager, Garikoitz Aristegui. He has been doing an impressive task from the moment I did ask him to work with me. The first thing we realized was about the impossibility to implement the whole idea about the new BSPTS in one single step, especially considering that we have all our own professional life, where the BSPTS is just a little part of it, probably not the most important in weight. We had to define some way and establish some priorities. It is clear that passing from a system, which was working reasonable well, to a new system, more complex and regulated, was a risky decision, but at this moment I am firmly convinced that this had to be made.
To make this conversion, I needed somebody close to me enough (I am talking about geographic distance) and capable in management, to collaborate with me, taking the responsibility of the technical management of the school and so, leaving me time to spend in developing a better understanding of what is defined BSPTS-Concept. My main concern is and will be always about our capability to educate with the highest quality physiotherapists and other health professionals in this very special issue of spinal deformities. Thus, ‘Education with the Highest Quality’ can be considered our motto.
I believe that all of you, who accepted our invitation and decided to be part of the BSPTS, had also clear that this was our slogan. All of us have many different interests in our professional life, and BSPTS is probably one more. It is clear that we all have our own professional reputation, value and well-constructed professional name, which allow us to talk and express professional opinions under our own name, but at the moment we make an agreement about giving some of our time to this common name, BSPTS and common objective, while developing activities in relationship with the school, we all talk as a member of the school and in the name of the school. Thus, we are not more ‘I, me or mine’ but ‘We, us and ours’, if you know what I mean.
Our agreement was based on the three documents (I, II, III) updated and circulated on July 2019. After being concentrated in the most difficult task of developing the new BSPTS.net and the On-line Basic Course, our General Manager, Garikoitz, is currently working in some other important things, to normalize as soon as possible our relationship. One of these important things is the formal contract that all of you will be asked to sign with the BSPTS Society.
In different meetings you have all received information about the type of formal relationship the BSPTS Society want to establish with you, but in case you have any doubt or question about this I strongly recommend you to contact Garikoitz to clarify.
By the way,we strongly recommend you to review the three documents (I, II, III) that form the basis of this relationship.
Of course, the formal contract is what we all will sign, but these –contracts- are going to be closely related with these three documents. We think that the documents explain with clarity some important points in relationship with the organization of our courses, the BSPTS- courses.
I would like here to say again that we are all free to do, to express personal opinions, to give lectures, to offer courses, seminaries, workshops and more, under our own personal name, but when we use the BSPTS name to certify we must change to this more corporative way of doing, where ‘I’ changes to ’We’, ‘me’ to ‘us’ and ‘mine’ to ‘ours’. We can all sum in this project, while maintaining our individual value.
I would like not to write much more, just to clarify some necessary points that will be important in the coming weeks and months, and also to give you some simple messages:
- I encourage you to give your best in your coming BSPTS- courses. Please remember about you offering these courses ‘for’ and ‘in the name’ of the BSPTS. In this sense we are a team and any of us is at the same level while performing this educational task. You might receive personal invitations, like I receive, but, when the proposal is about educating under the name of the BSPTS, the invitations have to be understood as made to the School (you have been doing courses and giving education under my umbrella for almost a decade, some of you even more, and part of your reputation as Teachers is related with this task).
- Some clarifications about number of attendants and observers. I wanted initially to maintain the independence of every Regional Group about it, due to the different idiosyncrasies and also due to the different physical capability of the Teachers offering courses. Some of the Regional Groups received instructions about this topic in previous meetings. Thus, this recommendation is not against the specific rule you received in your group, on case you did. In order to maintain the highest quality, my current recommendation is about limiting the number of attendants to the different Levels 1, 2 and 3. I would suggest not to take more than 12 attendants while being just one Teacher per course. With one Assistant (or two teachers), the limit could be 14. The number of Observers being 2 (aside of the maximum number of attendants) The number of Observes is, however, flexible, in the sense that in case of having less new attendants that accepted as Maximum, the number of Observers could be increased (for example, having 10 new attendants, the number of Observers could reach 4). I, personally, will not take more than 10 new attendants per course (due to age and physical limitations).
- Teachers can visit and observe in any BSPTS- course. Teachers are not considered Observers. And obviously, Teachers cannot be charged by other Teachers. However, it is important to arrange any of these visits with the organizer with the necessary time to prevent about over-booking.
- Terminology related to the new BSPTS is very important to prevent about misunderstanding. Please, be very accurate in using new terms. Try to avoid old terms, like: Schroth courses, C1 courses (C2 are still working), Schroth Instructors (unless you are official Schroth Instructor from Germany, of course), BSPTS Instructor, etc. New terms are clear, like: BSPTS-Concept by Rigo (this is what you will be certifying from now; Basic Course; Levels 1,2,3; Teachers, etc.
- Some parts of the New Educational Plan have been not yet defined, so please continue waiting with patience about these points, mainly about: Continue Education, Bridge Courses to pass from old Certification to new certification, and others. When asked about these points, please transmit calm and inform about no final format is still defined, so no chance to give detailed information. No reason for old BSPTS certified physiotherapist to be into panic and to have concerns about future, so please transmit that. All C2 BSPTS certified physiotherapist have been certified for life. They will maintain their linkage with the BSPTS for life while having interests on that. Some could be interested in getting new certification, especially those interested in getting Educational Points because living a more competitive country or having interests in becoming future Teachers and so, but some others could be not interested. If you are asked about how interesting is getting the new Certification you might have the temptation to say that ‘of course, it is very interesting for you…’ but we cannot really know about the interest of the people, only they can decide about whether New Plan is interesting for them or not. Old C1 certified physiotherapists that loose the train, they lose the train, that’s all, so simple.
- I have prepared the material for the Level 1, the one which is obligatory. This will be available for you in some way (Garikoitz will decide about the easiest way for you to get the material). At the moment this material is formed by some Power Points. Please note that the contain of those Power Points is what is necessary to transmit in a standardized way as being the essence of the Concept. You are asked all to educate about it, although not necessarily using exactly the same format that I use in my presentations (I mean format of the slides). You can change the format but not the basic contain. You can also change the order of the slides and add anything you might consider important for your attendants. This is flexible, so you can adapt this to your own way to explain and transmit knowledge. But be faithful to the Concept as explained in these current presentations. If possible for me, I will try to record some informal videos to explain personally some parts of the Concept that could helpful for you.
- Other interesting material you will get is the ‘Glossary of Terms’ that I have been working out. It is not complete, as you will see, but quite wide at this moment. I will be working also to complete it and to maintain it updated.
- The problem of the Covid-19. I have been forced to postpone our first National Level 1, in Spanish, that had to be running in early April, due to clear instructions from our department of Health. In Catalonia, all health professionals have been asked to cancel any organized activity like courses, meetings, congresses, etc. and to avoid travelling to participate in Catalonia or out of Catalonia, this including those working in the Public Health but also privately. I assume you are receiving also constant information and instructions from the authorities in your respective countries. This will affect some of the already scheduled courses for sure. Garikoitz and I have been talking about this problem and will try to find a good solution for the future. The world is changing a lot, in many senses, sustainability being another concerning point, so many things are changing. Let us see how this evolve and how we can adapt to the new times. In any case, survival of the school, at least while chaired by me, shall not be at any cost, ‘losing quality’ cannot and shall not be accepted, as this has been always the real motto of this my project shared with you.
Once more, thank you very much and let us continue moving forward.