NEW STRUCTURE AND EDUCATIONAL PLAN FOR THE BSPTS
THE NEW STRUCTURE OF THE BSPTS
INTERNATIONAL BSPTS SOCIETY
Barcelona 22/10/2018 (last modified 31/07/2019)
By Manuel Rigo MD PhD. Chair of the BSPTS
I think that one of the main reasons why the first model failed, was about trying to go forward with a structure similar to a scientific society (ex: SOSORT). The idea of a Board, members and statutes is a proper one for a group of people (clinicians, researchers, etc.) with interest in some specific disorder/s (Scoliosis), in order to interchange clinical experience, research, etc. however it is probably not the best type of organization for us, looking at the objective of education. The usual structure for what we want to do is more like the structure you might find in the University, School or similar Academic organizations.
- About the new Structure
A first level of the organization where there will be a Chairof the School (Manuel Rigo) and a Co-Chair(Mina Jelacic).
In a second level of the organization there will be a General Manager (Garikoitz Aristegui).
In a third level of the organization there will be the Teachers, organized in Regional Groups with a Regional Chair.
In a fourth level of the organization there will be the Certified Physiotherapists.
The BSPTS will offer a unique Corporate Image, throughout a unique BSPTS web site. The site will have a general information about International BSPTS Society and several Sections, one per each Regional Group. The Section belonging to a specific Regional Group will be managed by a person defined by the Regional Group.
The appearance of the Society will be like any Scientific Society, with the Board, formed by a President (the Chair), an Elected President (the Co-Chair), a Secretary and Treasurer (the General Manager) and members (the Regional Chairs). Then the Society will have Active Members (the Teachers) and the Associate Members (Certified Physiotherapists). However, it shall not be a real Scientific Society, working from some defined statutes, but it will take the structure of a Business Company. In any case, it will be clarified in some point at the Web that the Society has indeed a Business Structure.
I will create together with our colleague Garikoitz Aristegui a new Business Company (independent from Rigo Quera Salvá S.L.P) under the name of International BSPTS Society.
My first intention is to make everybody participate on it, however there are some legal points that I was not able to clarify yet with my Lawyer regarding to the participation of foreigners in a Limited Society when established in Spain (he is now out of work until the end of August). In any case I will be owning the majority of this new company, taking second partners, if possible, and will offer the job of General Manager to Garikoitz Aristegui, who will be also second partner. Anybody from the group could get this job. The reason for my decision is that, at this moment, I strongly believe I need somebody like Gari supporting me in this task. I have had a very good feeling with him, we have been already working together for some months in defining all this new project and another heavy reason is that he has my own nationality, lives very close to me and can reach me for a ‘face to face’ meeting, in few hours, in a very flexible way.
Please note that, although the structure will be Business Company, the main objective of the Company shall not be Business but Education. That means, you have all my guaranty that, becoming finally partners in a little proportion or not, you will get full and transparent information about the finances of the company, throughout an Annual Business Meeting, where you will be able to participate on the decision about what to do with any potential benefit obtained by the company, not a high one I guess, but something that we can share.
The main and unique objective of the Society is to manage all related with the BSPTS issues, including International Education.
The Society will own an Educational Product called ‘BSPTS-Concept by Rigo’. This product will be offered to the Teachers in accordance to certain contractual rules. Thus, Teachers, no matter whether being main partner, second partner, third partners, or no partners of the Society, will have a specific relationship with the Society: Teachers will be defined Clients, individually or throughout the Regional Group, in case the Regional Group has a formal structure and the members of the group choose this option. (see below, about the contracts. Clients will get this product from the Society for a very little charge (not a fixed amount, but always proportional to the number of registered people attending your courses –please see below).
The charged amount by the Society to the clients will be not a fixed amount but a certain percentage from registrations and will be divided in two, one will go to Dr Rigo and the other will be used to support the Society (Web, management, marketing, etc.). Initially, the only income for the Society will be this and the one from the On-line courses. The in-come from the On-line courses will be used also to cover the expenses of the Society, including management. Dr Rigo will get also the office of Administrator but with no Honoraria for that. The residual amount will be considered as the profit of the Society. In the business meeting of the Society, and counting with all the teachers, partners or not partners, it will be decided what to do with this profit.
An important issue, which has been concerning some of you is about what will happen once I get retirement. I hope I will continue chairing the Society for a long time, however, once I decide to get out from this project, I will pass all my part to somebody I consider the proper one to continue with the task. This could be my niece Dra Rebecca Sauvagnac, my intellectual daughter Mina Jelacic, or a different person. I do not know at this time who will be the person but I will try always throughout this nomination to maintain the cohesion of the group in the long term. I say this with all my humility and fully aware about how difficult will be this mission, so accepting to fail and praying for getting a not very hard opinion from you in that case. You all know my opinion about not taking ourselves very seriously, we are not really important but are important the things we do. Let us hope that we will be all able to do right things. At least this is the intention and my hope.
Regarding the continuation of the Concept. Nothing is immutable and until now I have been driving this evolution from my own experience and also from your experience. The Concept changes regularly and we call this, evolution. As you know I am very concern about not all changes representing evolution but some representing involution. Until the day I feel strong, creative and motivated enough to drive these changes, you will find in me always a man fighting to maintain the cohesion of the group. Once I leave, somebody nominated by me will get the ‘steering wheel’ of the Society, but in relationship with the Concept, this, by itself means nothing, because at the end of the day you all, as a group, will have the power, the power to go forward as a united group, or the power to transform it in a different thing. Thus, most probably, or a natural leader will be taking my role or you will need to go forward by using consensus mechanisms.
Now, some practical points:
Teachers will be grouped in Regional Groups.
- About Regional Groups
Regional Groups are not necessarily specific countries. Initially, Regional Groups can be formed by several countries.
Regional Groups will be fully independent one from others and will be formed by a variable number of members (Only Teachers). The number of Teachers in every Regional Group depends exclusively on the Regional Group.This is part of your power. The Society shall not be deciding about this number, but the Group itself.
Every Regional Group will have its own structure, decided by the Members of the Group and their Chair.
Initially I will nominate a Chairfor every group, called ‘Regional Chair’and the Regional Chair will form part of a so called International BSPTS Board.
Structure of the Regional Group: Regional Groups can get Formal or Informal Structures, always in accordance with what the Regional Chairdecides in consensus with all the members of his/her Regional group.
Name of the Regional Group: The Regional Groups will get written permission from the International BSPTS Society to use the name of BSPTS, no matter they have Formal or Informal structure. In case of having Formal structure I strongly recommend using the name BSPTS-Followed by the regional name (ex.: Europe, Israel, US, etc.) but just for practical reasons, if a group has already taken a different name and it is known by this name, it can be saved. The name of the Regional Group, in case of having no Formal structure, will be ‘the name of the Region followed by BSPTS Working Group’.
Every Regional Groupwill be fully Independent in the way it is run and Dr. Rigo (or the Society) has no any interest to say how the groups must work works.
- Relationship between International BSPTS Society and Regional Groups:
The Society will offer Private Contracts to Teachers or to Formal Regional Group (this depends exclusively on the preference of the group, but in any case the contract with the Regional Group can be only possible when the Group has a formal structure, otherwise the contract will be only possible with every Teacher from the Group), Thus, the clients of the Society can be the Teachers, individually, or the Regional Group, only when this being formal and this being the preference of the Group’s members. The General Manager will look after his clients the Teachers or the Regional Chair, when being the client the Regional Group.
All the members will get a specific e-mail address,using the BSPTS domain (ex: email@example.com) for communication about issues exclusively related to the BSPTS. Depending on the issue, Teachers or Regional Chairs, would need to contact directly the General Manager, but they will have always to add CC the Chair and Co-Chair and the Regional Chair. Teachers or Regional Chairs can also contact directly the Chair, Manuel Rigo, but always adding CC the Co-Chair, the General Manager and the Regional Chair.
The obligatory points into every group are:
- The type of Relationship with the International BSPTS Society
- The New Educational Plan for physiotherapists (with common general guidelines open to regional variations)
- Protocols to educate new Teachers for the future
- About the International BSPTS Board
There will be an organization called International BSPTS Boardformed by the Chair and Co-Chair, the General Manager and the regional Chairs.
The main mission of The International BSPTS Board is caring about the future of the Educational Plan. Thus This Board is only a valid instrument to manage about Educational Issues but not about other business of the Society.
The Board will care about all the Educational Material uploaded to the BSPTS web.
The International BSPTS Board will create an International Educational Committee.
The International Educational Committee will have as a main mission to care about Examinations and final Certifications (see New Educational Plan).
The members of the International Educational Committee will charge specific honoraria to the Society for every Examination.
The International BSPTS Board will be also responsible of managing conflictive issues affecting the School internationally (so affecting at least two Regional Groups). Conflictive issues affecting only a specific Region will be managed by the Regional Chair and the members of the group, although, obviously, the Regional Chair can get advice from the Board.
The International BSPTS Board has the intention to create also an International Scientific Committee, to support all the members of the Society, Active and Associated, when doing research with or without relationship with the BSPTS. When already active, this committee will also bring into the BSPTS web any paper of scientific interest to be consulted by the members.
- About the courses (see later, New Educational Plan)
The courses will be to certify exclusively physiotherapists, but a protocol will be created aside for Orthotist, MD, Nurses, and other Health professionals. This is a general rule, for all the groups. However, Regional Group and Regional Chairwill establish the Rules for their regions, in accordance to Dr. Rigo (Rules is about maximum number of attendants, Observers, quality of the attendants, meaning with this whether attendants will be pre-selected according to their CV or interests, etc.)
Courses will be structured in a specific way according to the NEW EDUCATIONAL PLAN. Eventually, a Regional Group, throughout its Regional Chair, can propose Dr. Rigo a different format in accordance to the characteristics of the Region, but at the end of the day, contain, works (exams to pass from one level to the next) and days of Educationmust be the same everywhere to get final BSPTS Certification.
- About WEB
The General Manager (Garikoitz Aristegui)will create a Web for the International BSPTS Society. We have been discussing about it and we think that a unique WEB is better due to some reasons:
- Unique WEB will reduce expenses (one domain one server)
- A unique Corporate Image
- The same domain for our emails improve the Society image and diffusion
- Independent Sections for every region but with the same structure of development, showing an image of unity.
- This is a possibility to coordinate the regions in a simpler way
- The Unique Educational Plan is visible for the whole world
- A general description of the International, Regional or Local courses
- A unique Basic Course offered on-line by the Society or Face-to-face by a Teacher from any Region (in accordance to the Region’s rules) (see Educational Plan)
- General regulations for professionals that can be educated
- A unique database of educated professionals organized by Continent, Country, State, City and Educational level.
- A Private Zone for Teachers where to find all the pedagogic material, updates, discussion, etc
- A Private Zone for all the Associated Members (BSPTS Certified) where they might find the conclusion of updates, papers, videos, etc
- The WEB can also be supported by a specific amount of money from the courses and by the rate of the Associate members getting access to the Private Zone
- About the General Manager
The General Manager’s task will be, independent who is the person, to have a coordination with the regional groups and among themselves, creates and star ups the new website, and the contents, develops one marketing plan to improve and increase the diffusion of BSPTS-Concept by Rigo around the world, keeping in every moment the communication with Dr. Rigo to supervise the decisions. General Manager is not a ‘for life’ office, but a temporal.
- About the contracts
Contracts will be developed and signed no later than the end of 2019:
General guidelines for the contracts:
- Contracts will be temporal, not for life.
- Teachers are allowed to teach in their initial Regions. When leaving the Region to live in another part of the world were a Regional Group is already established the Teacher can then be accepted or not by the Regional Group. This is a right of the Regional Group. In case the Teacher wants to go into the Regional Group of his/her new Region and is finally accepted by the Group, she/he will lose the right to teach in her/his old Region. In case she/he is not interested in teaching in her/his new Region or is not accepted in the new Group, she/he will keep the right to teach in her/his old Region and will maintain her/his membership with the old Regional Group. In case of choosing to live a specific big region enough to start a new Regional Group, he/she will be invited to do that.
- The type of relationship of the Regional Chair with the members of the group is something that the Regional Chair will propose to me just to inform me, I shall not interfere with the Regional Groups and Chairs about type of structure and names. The type of relationship can be different in the different groups and will be obviously determined by the type of relationship that the members of the group have already established in the long passed term. This is one of the important points of the new Organization: the internal function can be different from one group to other and no group need to look at others for it.
- Before starting the new Educational Plan there will be a meeting, Region by Region, in order to standardize the BSPTS Concept. Dr Rigo will manage this with the Regional Chair.
- Related to course fees. This has to be still discussed after asking for legal advice. As a whole, there is the interest to prevent about competition between International courses in different places according to the different rates. Local courses will have their own fees but International will have all the same general registration fee, with the option from the organizer to offer special fees for attendants from countries with lower level of life (always in accordance to International Laws)
- Teachers will certify (Certification means here both Certification of Attendance to a any specific Level as well as Final BSPTS Certification) using a unique format created and signed Dr. Rigo as BSPTS Chair and also by the Regional Chair. Teachers will be able to add their Logos and sign the Certifications also as Teachers. The already Signed Certification will be downloaded by the Teacher form the BSPTS WEB (Private Zone)
- Teachers will manage their courses by themselves in terms of registration (although they can use for registration the BSPTS WEB), Invoices, facilities for the Attendants, etc.
- According to the signed contract, all Teachers will be charged by the International BSPTS Society for using the Educational Material called ‘BSPTS-Concept by Rigo’, and they will get an invoice and receipt to be able to discount this as ‘expenses’ in their courses. This amount will be always in relationship with the number of attendants and registration fee, in other words, it will be a percentage for every registration.
- The percentage per attendant that will go to the International BSPTS Society will be the same for all the courses and has still to be discussed and signed (see above). A percentage of this amount will go directly into a box for Dr Rigo. A second percentage will be used to maintain the Society, including managing, WEBand marketing.
- The material for the courses related to the ‘BSPTS-Concept by Rigo’ will be offered by the International BSPTS Society to the Teacher (Private Zone in the WEB) and it will be use in our courses. If some body wants to use this material in other course shall indicate clear the origin of it. This material can be obviously edited by the Teacher, but the meaning of the text and images cannot be transformed in any way. It is optional that the Teachers add some personal material, to reinforce any obligatory concept, but this cannot take place of the obligatory material. In any case the recommendation is that less material is better. There is always material that can be offered out of the course contain. If some teacher introduces any new content, he/she is asked to send this to the International BSPTS board for revision. The idea is to be very open, in the sense that the Board will normally not block any individual contribution, unless it goes frontally opposed to the BSPTS concept and general philosophy.
At this moment the Organigram will work as follow:
Chair of the BSPTS
Co-Chair of the BSPTS
Chairs of the Regional Working Groups:
Beth Janssenfor the Canada/US Group
Rebecca Hardingfor the Australian and Far East group (Far East, will be temporary under Australian group)
Marjan De Jongefor the European group (Including Turkey and Muslim African Countries)
Lior Neuhousefor the Israeli group (Including African no Muslim Countries)
Garikoitz Aristeguifor the Central and South America group.
All current Teachers are invited to participate
The International BSPTS Society will care also about a different Educational Product called ‘Rigo-Chêneau Brace Principles by Rigo’ and will define a New Educational Plan for Orthotists in relationship with this Educational Product. Most possibly, in the medium future we will create a Mother Society called International BSRS Society(from Barcelona Scoliosis Rehabilitation Society) including two branches: International BSPTS Society(for the Physiotherapy part of the Integrative Scoliosis Care Model represented by the International BSRS Society) and the International BSBS Society(for the Brace part of the Integrative Scoliosis Care Model represented by the International BSRS Society).