Basic knowledge on scoliosis and other alterations of the spine.
Basic Level to obtain the BSPTS-Concept by Rigo certification.
Addressed to all people interested in acquiring specific basic knowledge on scoliosis and other spinal disorders.
COURSE DURATION AND FEATURES
You can do the course at your own pace. The limit time to do it is: 6 weeks.
Taking into account Covid19 situation we have extended the limit time to 12 weeks.
The pedagogical contents, 41 videos in total, 10-12 minutes average each, during 11 units, with one self assessment in each unit.
To obtain the final certification a Final Knowledge Exam must be done.
SPECIFIC OBJETIVES OF THE BASIC LEVEL
Train the students to:
- Be an active member of a multidisciplinary team, for the treatment of the deformities of the spine.
- Understand the ethiopathogenesis and pathomechanism of the morphological alterations of the spine in the sagittal plane, as well as the idiopathic scoliosis.
- Carry out a clinical and functional assessment of the patient with scoliosis and elaborate a complete clinical history.
- Make a correct clinical and functional diagnosis of the morphological alterations of the sagittal plane and the scoliosis.
- Use and interpret the questionnaires about the life quality of the patient with scoliosis.
- Assess and interpret the additional radiological tests of the patient with scoliosis using digital tools for its assessment, diagnosis , comprehension and prognosis.
- Assess, analyze and understand the orthopedic treatment to be used in the deformities of the spine.
- Understand the importance of the use of scientific evidence in the non-surgical treatment of the scoliosis.
- Apply the SOSORT Guide for the Clinical Practice, published in 2018.
The educational units of the Basic Level are the following:
|EU1: Spine||Description and analysis of the normal spine and the trunk in 3D: anatomy, biomechanics, geometry and stabilization mechanisms.|
|EU2: Sagittal Alterations||Morphological alterations of the spine and the trunk in the sagittal plane. Juvenile Hyperkyphosis (Scheuermann) and other deviations.|
|EU3: Scoliosis||Definition, characteristics and general knowledge and nature in 3D. Etiopathogenesis. Vicious circle.|
|EU4: EOS, AIS, AdS||Types of scoliosis: Onset scoliosis, Idiopathic scoliosis in teenagers, Scoliosis in adults.|
|EU5: Natural History of Idiophatic Scoliosis||Natural history, evolution, prognosis, skeletal maturity.|
|EU6: Clinical assessment of the patient||Digital postural assessment. Functional assessment. Scoliometer. Spirometry. Questionnaires on the quality of life.|
|EU7: Radiological Assessment of the patient||Digital Software to measure xRay, Cobb angle, rotation angle, vertical sacral line and pelvic parameters.|
|EU8: Non-surgical treatment||Non-Operative treatment of scoliosis. Physiotherapy Scoliosis Specific Exercises and Bracing. Schools and evidence|
|EU9: Introduction of the orthetic treatment||Orthesis of the trunk. Scanning systems, parameters and classification. Concept of the Cheneau Rigo Corset.|
|EU10: Introduction to the surgical treatment||Surgical parameters, types of surgery and current and groundbreaking approaches.|
|EU11: Introduction to the BSPTS Concept||General principles and clinical types. Classification of block diagrams.|
|Assessment of Knowledge|
Once the Basic level is achieved the student can go forward to the next level.
- Lectures 42
- Quizzes 12
- Duration 12 weeks
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 513
- Certificate Yes
- Assessments Self
BASIC LEVEL: Basic knowledge on scoliosis and other alterations of the spine.
Unit 1: Spine anatomy, Planes and Axis
Unit 2: Sagittal deformities
Unit 3: Scoliosis
- Video 3a: Scoliosis definition
- Video 3b: Etiopathogenesis of Scoliosis
- Video 3c: Idiopathic Scoliosis. Definition
- Video 3d: Progression of a thoracic scoliosis. Top view and radiological projection in the middle sagittal profile
- Video 3e: Mechanical torsion. Representation
- Video 3f: Scoliosis. Transversal Plane Deformity
- Self-assessment Unit 3
Unit 4: EOS, AIS, AdS
Unit 5: Natural history of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis
Unit 6: Clinical Assessment
Unit 7: Radiological Assessment
Unit 8: Scoliosis Therapeutic Approach
Unit 9: Orthetic Therapeutic Approach
Unit 10: Surgery Therapeutic Approach
Unit 11: Introduction to the BSPTS-Concept by Rigo
- Video 11a: Introduction to the BSPTS-Concept by Rigo. Part I
- Video 11b: Introduction to the BSPTS-Concept by Rigo. Part II
- Video 11c: Introduction to the BSPTS-Concept by Rigo. Part IIIa
- Video 11d: Introduction to the BSPTS-Concept by Rigo. Part IIIb
- Video 11e: Scoliosis. General principles of correction based on BSPTS-Concept by Rigo
- Self-assessment Unit 11
Student Feedback about Online Basic Course